The formula for respiration is:
Glucose + Oxygen –> water + Carbon dioxide + Energy (ATP)
Asked a group of students of class VII, KV AFS Bidar
Water is just a product during respiration. The amount of water obtained during respiration is not sufficient to carry out all the functions. Water has a multitude of functions in human body. See the picture below.
About 78% of human body is water.
- Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
- Moisturizes the air in lungs
- Helps with metabolism
- Protects our vital organ
- Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
- Regulates body temperature
- Protects and moisturizes our joints
For all the above functions we require more water than produced as a byproduct of respiration.
More details on the role of water in human body can be read from: