My son and I were discussing tension in a handheld rope with a 10 lbm weight on the end. The hand exerts an upward force of 10 lbf and gravity exerts a 10 lbf downward (net = zero). With these vector forces acting in opposite directions they would appear to ADD to 20 lbf of tension in the rope rather than 10 lbf. Where is the conceptual fallacy? How can I explain this clearly? Asked Hecket Answer When you consider the two points where force vectors are drawn 1. At hand and 2. On the hanging weight Tension of 10 lbf is produced throughout the rope. See the diagram
Connect with:Login with Facebook Login with Google Login with Twitter Login with LinkedIn Login with Microsoft
Search the Site
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- CLASS 11 - HALF YEARLY EXAMINATION SAMPLE PAPER -1
- IMPORTANT DERIVATIONS FROM OPTICS FOR CBSE STUDENTS CLASS XII AISSCE
- Science Half Yearly Sample Question Papers for Class X
- Variation in acceleration due to gravity (g) with depth
- Questions normally not answered by Students in Viva
- Doubts from Physics for Class XI – Collisions, Spring Constant, Gravitation, Measurement
- Science Half Yearly Sample Question Papers for Class IX CBSE
- SA1 Previous Question Papers in Science for class 9 and 10 (CBSE) with marking Scheme
- Why dispersion does not occur in a glass slab?
- Physics Class XII Sample Papers
Our Social Presence
acceleration Ans answer ask ask Physics Auto body Business direction distance doubt Draft earth Education electricity electron energy field force gravitation gravity kinematics light mass motion numerical Online particle physics problem project question relativity solved solved paper solved problems solved questions speed surface time United States velocity Water weight work
Ask a Doubt
Post your Physics Doubts here
- Calculate the mass of the aluminum cup
- How much energy is required to change a 45-g ice cube from ice at −35°C to steam at 120°C?
- What is the final temperature of the water after the ice has melted?
- How many joules equivalent to energy, how much work to perform an amount of mechanical work
- What is the tire pressure in Pascals and the new tire pressure?
- What is the length of the pendulum
- Absolute pressure and exerted force
- Find Young's Modulus
- What is the fundamental frequency
- What is the length of the canal?
- Visualisation paradox of tension https://t.co/7z63FA5Zxk https://t.co/ftxQzoVMvP
about 3 weeks ago
Half Yearly Exam Count Down
Half Yearly Exam Count Down KVS Ernakulam RegionOctober 17, 2017
The Half Yearly Examination for Kendriya Vidyalayas of Kerala starts from 17 October 2017