My son and I were discussing tension in a handheld rope with a 10 lbm weight on the end. The hand exerts an upward force of 10 lbf and gravity exerts a 10 lbf downward (net = zero). With these vector forces acting in opposite directions they would appear to ADD to 20 lbf of tension in the rope rather than 10 lbf. Where is the conceptual fallacy? How can I explain this clearly? Asked Hecket Answer When you consider the two points where force vectors are drawn 1. At hand and 2. On the hanging weight Tension of 10 lbf is produced throughout the rope. See the diagram
Search the Site
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- CLASS 11 - HALF YEARLY EXAMINATION SAMPLE PAPER -1
- IMPORTANT DERIVATIONS FROM OPTICS FOR CBSE STUDENTS CLASS XII AISSCE
- Science Half Yearly Sample Question Papers for Class X
- What are the similarities and differences in magnetic and electric field?
- ASK A QUESTION
- Questions normally not answered by Students in Viva
- Why dispersion does not occur in a glass slab?
- Uses of a potentiometer
- Previous years Board Questions from Optics
- BOARD QUESTIONS FROM WAVE OPTICS (CBSE/AISSCE)
Our Social Presence
acceleration Ans answer ask ask Physics Auto body Business direction distance doubt Draft earth Education electricity electron energy field force gravitation gravity kinematics light mass motion numerical Online particle physics problem project question relativity solved solved paper solved problems solved questions speed surface time United States velocity Water weight work
Ask a Doubt
Post your Physics Doubts here
[contact-form-7 id="3271" title="Ask_a_question"]
- what is a laser?
- How Quantum Field Theory explains triboelectricity?
- Important topics to study for NEET Physics
- What are the most important topics in JAM Physics?
- If the size of the unit decreases by 20% the% change in the numerical value is
- Why is easier to hammer a sharp nail into wood than a blunt one?
- Can we dissociate aluminium using infrared multi photon dissociation method?
- Vector A + Vector B = vector C and A +2B is perpendicular to A then find relation between vector B and C.
- Why a ray when moves to normal from rarer to denser medium
- What is the major term involved in refraction