Home » Posts tagged 'BULB'
Tag Archives: BULB
An energy saver light bulb of 11 W gives the same illumination as a conventional 60W light bulb. (a) If a typical light bulb is used on average for five hours a day, how much energy is saved per year by one light-bulb? (b) If each household used eight such light-bulbs, ad there are 20 million households in a country, how much energy would that country save annually?
(Answers to this question invited from all users and visitors)
I need to know how many 15W bulbs can be connected in parallel If I use an extension cord in the 5A socket? If I use the 15 A socket then how many bulbs can I connect in parallel?
Assuming the voltage to be 220 V,
The current drawn by a single bulb is 15/220=0.068 A
So the no. of bulbs which can be connected in parallel = 5/.068=73 (avoiding the fractional part)
If you use 15A, then 220 bulbs can be connected. (follow the same procedure)
Let n and m denote the number of photons emitted by a red and blue bulb respectively of equal power in a given time.Is n=m?
The energy of a photon is hν
where ν is the frequency.
Power = energy/time
==> nhν1 = mhν2
==> nν1 = mν2
clearly n not equal to m
This question was posted by Chithraja. This is a common doubt arising naturally in the minds of children as well as adults who think. But they never ask, or if they ask the questions remain unanswered.
I will explain the question itself first. When we switch on a bulb we get the energy. But what happens to the electricity when we are not using it? Is it just wasted if we don’t use it?
Then, won’t it be better using as much of it when available rather than saving it by not using electrical appliances?
These are all associated questions which I have also asked several times.
Before I actually answer the question I am waiting for responses from visitors, students and teachers
Warning from the British Ministry of health about Energy Saving bulbs These types of bulbs which are called Energy Saving or low Energy bulbs, if broken, cause serious danger! So much so, that if one breaks, everybody will have to leave the room for at least 15 minutes, because it contains Mercury (poisonous) which causes migraine, disorientation, imbalances and different other health problems, when inhaled. It causes many people with allergies, severe skin conditions and other diseases just by touching this substance or inhaling it. Also the ministry warned to NOT clean the debris of the broken bulb with a vacuum cleaner, because it would spread the contamination to other rooms in the house when using the vacuum cleaner again. It must be cleaned up with a normal broom or brush, be kept in a sealed bag and disposed of right away from the house in a bin for hazardous materials.
Notice: Mercury is dangerous, more poisonous than lead or arsenic!!!!