Jameel Leers Posted “I’m a carpenter with a bit of an interest in physics. Today while eating lunch on a building site i realised something that i need confirming or de-bunking. Here it is: I believe an Atomic Bomb wouldn’t work in space. Here’s why: Take 90 kgs of tnt, when it detonates it is self-oxidising and instantly sublimes into rapidly expanding gases. The TNT also releases energy in the form of heat, light, sound and more importantly, kinetic energy in gases given as Ek = 1/2 MV^2. An atomic bomb only realeases heat and light. All the expanding gas, the kinetic energy, is provided by heating the atmosphere. The atmposphere around the A-blast is super heated expands, providing the destructive energy. This is why an atomic bomb blast appears to ‘suck back’. Because the bomb doesn’t make its own gas, and gas that it displaces by expansion cools and returns to ground zero. In the vacuum of space however, the atom bomb will produce only heat and light. The heat will instantly vaporise the supercritical elements and turn to gas, and they will expand, but it will only be the same explosive force as a conventional explosive of the same weight. eg 100kg’s of U-235 will produce 100kg of expanding gas. Just as 100kg’s of TNT will produce 100kg’s of gas. So thats what i think. A-bomb won’t really work in space. It is still a nuclear chain reaction. Not a ‘bomb’ though… What do you think?”
Connect with:Login with Facebook Login with Google Login with Twitter Login with LinkedIn Login with Microsoft
Search the Site
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- ASK A QUESTION
- Projectile Motion - Numerical Problems (Assignment for KV Pattom Class XI students)
- Numericals on Relative Velocity
- A Question from Errors in measurement
- Previous years Board Questions from Optics
- DECREASING PRESSURE BY INCREASING AREA
- IMPORTANT DERIVATIONS FROM OPTICS FOR CBSE STUDENTS CLASS XII AISSCE
- Limitations of Dimensional Analysis
- What is resultant force?
- Science Half Yearly Sample Question Papers for Class X
Our Social Presence
acceleration Ans answer ask ask Physics Auto body Business direction distance doubt Draft earth Education electricity electron energy field force gravitation gravity kinematics light mass motion numerical Online particle physics problem project question relativity solved solved paper solved problems solved questions speed surface time United States velocity Water weight work
Jameel Leers idea on Atom Bomb! What do you think?
Ask a Doubt
Post your Physics Doubts here
- Why is easier to hammer a sharp nail into wood than a blunt one?
- Why a ray when moves to normal from rarer to denser medium
- What is the major term involved in refraction
- Can a charge of 4 x10 -19 be given to a body
- What is the phase difference between two wavefronts???
- Two identical body of M mass and Q charge are in equilibrium under gravitational and electric calculate order of Q/M
- Four masses each of 4kg are fastened together.
- Best Books And Study Materials For JAM Physics
- 5 litre of a liquid weighs 5 kgf. What is the density of the liquid?
- two persons A and B do same amount of work in time T1 and T2 . find the ratio of the power delivers by the men