Jameel Leers Posted “I’m a carpenter with a bit of an interest in physics. Today while eating lunch on a building site i realised something that i need confirming or de-bunking. Here it is: I believe an Atomic Bomb wouldn’t work in space. Here’s why: Take 90 kgs of tnt, when it detonates it is self-oxidising and instantly sublimes into rapidly expanding gases. The TNT also releases energy in the form of heat, light, sound and more importantly, kinetic energy in gases given as Ek = 1/2 MV^2. An atomic bomb only realeases heat and light. All the expanding gas, the kinetic energy, is provided by heating the atmosphere. The atmposphere around the A-blast is super heated expands, providing the destructive energy. This is why an atomic bomb blast appears to ‘suck back’. Because the bomb doesn’t make its own gas, and gas that it displaces by expansion cools and returns to ground zero. In the vacuum of space however, the atom bomb will produce only heat and light. The heat will instantly vaporise the supercritical elements and turn to gas, and they will expand, but it will only be the same explosive force as a conventional explosive of the same weight. eg 100kg’s of U-235 will produce 100kg of expanding gas. Just as 100kg’s of TNT will produce 100kg’s of gas. So thats what i think. A-bomb won’t really work in space. It is still a nuclear chain reaction. Not a ‘bomb’ though… What do you think?”
Connect with:Login with Facebook Login with Google Login with Twitter Login with LinkedIn Login with Microsoft
Search the Site
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- CLASS 11 - HALF YEARLY EXAMINATION SAMPLE PAPER -1
- IMPORTANT DERIVATIONS FROM OPTICS FOR CBSE STUDENTS CLASS XII AISSCE
- Difference between g and G
- Variation in acceleration due to gravity (g) with depth
- Previous years Board Questions from Optics
- BOARD QUESTIONS FROM WAVE OPTICS (CBSE/AISSCE)
- ASK A QUESTION
- SA1 Previous Question Papers in Science for class 9 and 10 (CBSE) with marking Scheme
- What is pseudo force
- Why dispersion does not occur in a glass slab?
Our Social Presence
acceleration Ans answer ask ask Physics Auto body Business direction distance doubt Draft earth Education electricity electron energy field force gravitation gravity kinematics light mass motion numerical Online particle physics problem project question relativity solved solved paper solved problems solved questions speed surface time United States velocity Water weight work
Jameel Leers idea on Atom Bomb! What do you think?
Ask a Doubt
Post your Physics Doubts here
- The linear mass of density of a ladder of length l increases uniformly from one end A to the other end B
- For a pendulum of mass m displaced by 30° the tension is t=mgcos30° but why can't I resolve tension and get tcos30°= mg?
- find the image distance of the object whose distance is 10cm and power of a less is 5 diopters
- Dispersion without deviation
- Answered: What is parallax
- during adiabatic expansion of a gas its temperature is doubled then its ratio of final and initial volume will be?
- a basketball player jumps straight up to grab a rebound. if she’s in the air for 0.80 seconds, how high did she jump?
- A uniform rod AB is bent in the shape of an arc of the circle. Determine angular acceleration
- http://i.imgur.com/OnLYz2q.jpg . Can anyone pls try to solve the second part of question.
- A car travels with a velocity 10m/s and accelerates at 5m/s. Calculate the final velocity when it has travelled 30m
- Physics – Centre of Mass Problem https://t.co/aY9L0nMOEh
about 3 weeks ago
Half Yearly Exam Count Down
Half Yearly Exam Count Down KVS Ernakulam RegionOctober 17, 2017
The Half Yearly Examination for Kendriya Vidyalayas of Kerala starts from 17 October 2017